Pages

March 25, 2010

On Broken Wings (Revisited)

Holy crap, it's been a long time since I talked about the previous missions for Wings of the Goddess. I really think SE needs to pick up the pace when it comes to releasing these. We get broken updates and all sorts of emergency maintenance that we never look forward to on a semi-regular basis, but something as awesome as WotG takes several months to a year to get updated.

As always, I don't want to spoil the story and I won't break that now. I'll say again that if you haven't started this or are not current, quit doing whatever the hell it is you're working on and go see this stuff. You will not be disappointed. I don't know what the end reward is, and I can truly say that I don't care. The story is just that good. The cutscenes are definitely the best I've seen in this game. The only thing remotely close is ToAU, and that's because of the awesome music they have at the Alexander fight.

The situation from the last update has become worse, and they've done a lot to explain some of the earlier loopholes that were left in place from before. You also learn a bit more about the identities of the Spitewardens, with one hell of a twist at the end when a new warden is revealed. The tide of the Crystal War is changing and not everything is played out according to the history as we've come to know it.

This update has a very somber tone to it and doesn't have many joyful moments. There are a couple of bright spots amidst the battles, in particular with the "energetic" Alexei Mayakov and the love-stricken Samurai, Noillurie. You do get a chance to see Lilisette fight again, and wow...I am definitely going to level Dancer if we are able to do anything close to what she's capable of.

I only took a few pictures this time, as I was truly entranced with the story and only rarely was I able to break away from the screen to grab my camera. I don't play on PC, so no quick screenshots for me. ; ; I'll probably go back and help other people do this in the hopes that I can watch the cutscenes again to take more pictures.






There were so many awesome screenshot possibilities, but as I said before, I was really just too focused on enjoying what I was watching to really care about pausing for a photo. You really do owe it to yourself to go through these missions. For everything we say SE has done wrong with Vana'diel, they are doing an incredible job with Wings of the Goddess.

0 comments: